Olympics are the most coveted event which are continuously being held since over 125-year-old, though the games have their origins more than two millennia ago in Rome. Olympics this year are being held in Tokyo, Japan, and were inaugurated with the grand opening in Tokyo’s Olympic Stadium. The event is going to be held from 23rd July to 8 August, 2021.Though the Olympics were to be held in 2020 due to the corona pandemic the event was delayed by 12 months.
- 01. Still Called Tokyo 2020 We can easily see that the 2021 Olympics are being held in full swing. But what we see everywhere written is Tokyo 2020. The reason behind this is that the games were supposed to be held in Tokyo 2020 and all the merchandise that were to be used were made way before the game. And if the organizers changed the name, all the products would become useless. Last year in March, all the torches, medals, and branding items were made using the name Tokyo 2020, and changing the name at the last moment would mean huge additional costs.
- 02. No Spectators All the spectators have been banned from watching the games as a state of emergency was declared in the city on 8th July 2021.
- 03. Japan’s Population Didn’t Want Games to be Held The majority of the population of Japan didn’t want games to be held as it would pressurize the healthcare system and increase the possibility of COVID-19 infections.
- 04. India Representing 125 athletes India is being represented by 125 athletes in the Tokyo Olympics.
- 05. Players Tested Positive Some of the key players have tested positive for Covid-19 and thus have withdrawn from the game. These include US men’s beach volleyball player, Britain’s shooter Amber Hill Dutch Skateboarder Jacobs, and the Czech Republic table tennis player Pavel Sirucek who also withdrew from the game.
- 06. Games are Still Going On Even under the situation of the corona pandemic, the games were not canceled as IOC (International Olympic Council) is hoping to make around 70% of the money through broadcast rights and around 18% through sponsorship.
- 07. Most Expensive Games Ever With the situation of the pandemic going on, Tokyo 2020 is the most expensive game in the history of the Olympics.
- 08. Zero Risk of Transmitting the Virus All the international athletes and support staff are being tested every day to ensure the complete safety of the players.
- 09. Government Keen to Hold Successful and Safe Olympics The Japanese government is keen to hold successful and safe Olympics and is taking all the measures to make it a successful event even under so much pressure.
- 10. Sustainability The government is taking all the measures to ensure a green event. From medal stands to medals, all have been built taking into account the environment.
- 11. New Sports Well, Tokyo 2020 is going to host four new sports. These are karate, skateboarding, climbing, and surfing.
- 12. Technology Everyone knows that the Japanese are leaders when it comes to technology. The latest addition will be hospitality robots which will be present to assist travelers.
- 13. Many Places to Visit Japan has a rich history and is home to numerous historical places which are must-visit. Some of them include Tokyo National Museum that has artifacts that date back to 10,000 B.C, and Imperial Palace to mention a few.
This article is written by a Yatharthriti Author